Syrian opposition militants and government media said on Sunday 14 May 2017 that more than 1,500 militants of the opposition and their families left Kaboun neighborhood on the outskirts of the Syrian capital Damascus after more than two months of air strikes and artillery shelling.
Opposition gunmen agreed during the night on a secret evacuation agreement after trapped in a small pocket in the Qaboun neighborhood located on the northeastern edge of Damascus, which turned mostly to rubble after hundreds of air strikes and missile over approximately 80 days.
The army resumed its bombardment of a violent neighborhood on Wednesday after the alarm for one day faces armed opposition to surrender and agree to move to areas controlled by opposition forces in northern Syria.
Abdullah said Alkabona of the local council of the area that the Syrian regime threatened to destroy what remains in Kaboun will not accept anything but a military solution.
They have evacuated hundreds of opposition fighters and their families last week from neighboring Barza area after militants there before the opposition lay down their arms and leave the province of Idlib controlled by the opposition.
The state media said the evacuation was almost complete and that the neighborhood is completely under the control of the army.
That was a bustling area in the past were also home to thousands of displaced people from other parts of Syria during the war and most of its inhabitants fled in the last two months, with the escalation of the bombing.
Pressure on opposition fighters
It represents a loss Kaboun after Barza another blow to the opposition forces fighting to maintain a foothold in the capital-backed government forces and facing a Russian air force factions backed by Iran.
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and encouraged the use of evacuations as well as what it calls the government “reconciliation” agreements in the areas controlled by the opposition to surrender to the government as a means to curb the bloodshed.
But the United Nations has criticized both the use of the siege methods that precede such agreements and evacuations themselves as up to the level of forced displacement.
The opposition accuses the government of seeking Sunni fighters to evacuate the Sunni population in those areas of the population change say it will pave the way in the end in front of the Shiites backed by Iran who supports Assad’s rule to control their homes, a charge denied by the authorities.
The army was able to achieve this progress after cutting tunnels between Kaboun and Barza and the isolation of the two regions from the rest of the main pocket of opposition forces in the eastern Ghouta.
And resulted in tightening the siege of the two regions, tens of thousands of people live in them to force opposition fighters to agree to the agreements forcing them to withdraw to northern Syria.
Said Ahmed al-Khatib, who was among those who left on Friday. “They impose a blockade on us and even children’s medicines or supplies no longer exist … People are dying of starvation.”
Syrian forces imposed a blockade on the eastern Ghouta, a densely populated rural area of farms and towns since 2013. It is the only major stronghold of the opposition, near Damascus, he says opposition fighters losing it Kaboun and Barza fell basic defense of the eastern Ghouta line.