A strong earthquake of 6.6 magnitude struck central Italy on Sunday morning, injuring at least 20 people, the strongest earthquake in the country in more than three decades.
Fire services and Rescue said six people were rescued from the rubble in Norcia, about 6 kilometers north of the epicenter. There were no immediate reports of deaths, but the head of civil protection, Fabrizio Curcio, warned that some villages were cut off by cuts on the roads, and the impact had not yet been evaluated.
With roads closed by falling debris, helicopters were used to transport the wounded to the hospital in Foligno, about 30 kilometers northwest, Curcio said.
Initial images of earthquake Sunday show the destruction of some historical buildings. Many of these buildings had not been reinforced, as two other strong earthquakes hit the region Wednesday. The central part of the basilica of San Benedetto in Norcia, which receives many visitors, was virtually demolished and only the facade remained.
13 million people felt the tremor
The quake was felt as far north as the Alps, Curcio said, and to the south of Rome, about 90 kilometers away. The metro in Rome was closed while authorities continue searching the area, city officials said.
Many residents of the region had already been evacuated to emergency camps and hotel rooms paid by the government after the quakes last week, and schools were closed in anticipation of strong aftershocks.
Central Italy is accustomed to seismic events in their region, but not so many in such a short space of time.
Some 13 million people felt weak movement on the ground in the most remote places, while those closer to the epicenter have experienced strong shaking.
Sunday’s earthquake occurred at a depth of 10 kilometers, the US Geological Survey, so that the epicenter was relatively shallow. In general, the more superficial, it feels more and more damage it can cause.